The Importance of Citizenship
Tuesday, November 14
11:00 am -12:00 pm
All Ages Welcome
Bring your lunch and enjoy this special presentation by CultureALL Ambassador Eric Idehen. Mr. Idehen – a Community Development Officer at Wells Fargo – is fluent in eight languages (including Russian and Spanish). He serves on the board of several community organizations addressing diversity and is the founding president of Cornerstone of Hope, an orphanage in his hometown of Benin City, Nigeria. In this presentation, Mr. Idehen will share the story of his journey from Nigeria to the United States and his road to success in his adopted country. He will share his belief that giving back is the path to being a good citizen. Learn about the orphanage that he started in Nigeria, and explore your own ideas of how you can be a good citizen and give back to our community.
Beading: A Kenyan Tradition
Saturday, November 18
Beading has been a symbol of Kenyan national pride and various traditions for generations. Intricately beaded necklaces and collars worn by women offer clues to their marital status, health, and even number of children. Join CultureALL Ambassador Josie Shaw on an expedition to explore various vibrant colors that are used and the meaning behind the color choice and the beauty of Kenyan traditions. (Supplies are limited, so you may want to get there early.)
The Forest Avenue Library is located at 1326 Forest Avenue. Both workshops are free to the public. If you have questions, please call 515-283-5152, or e-mail Forest Avenue Library Supervisor Nikki Hayter.
These workshops are part of a series that the Forest Avenue Library will be hosting for the community. Mark your calendar and stay tuned for more information.
- Monday, December 4, 5:30-6:30 pm: Nepali Celebrations with Ambassador Shweta Agrahari
- Saturday, December 16, 2:00-3:00 pm: Musical Tour of Mexico with Ambassador R.J. Hernandez (Children’s workshop)
- Saturday, January 20, 2018, 2:00-3:00 pm: Celebrating Chinese New Year with Ambassador Phoebe Liang (Children’s workshop)
- Saturday, February 17, 2:00-3:00 pm: Indian Bollywood Dance with Ambassador Pragnya Yogesh (Children’s workshop)
- Saturday, March 17, 12:00-1:00 pm: Mexican Cooking with R.J. Hernandez
We look forward to seeing you at the library!